Monday, February 17, 2014

Joy in the Journey

¡Hola Familia!

It has been a great week. Maybe not super successful numbers-wise, but we had some great experiences and laughed a lot. I love my companion. We are just living it up because transfers are next week and we figure we can´t be lucky enough to have another transfer together. I guess we´ll see!

B made it to her confirmation! She is a great little girl. The best part is how her formerly inactive grandma (who she lives with) is coming back and is really finding the happiness and peace she has been seeking in the church. We have still been teaching & visiting a lot of less active members, and are seeing a few coming back and the rest are moving in the right direction. They are all wonderful. 

We´ve had some really fun lessons with S (11 year old girl) and A (her 8 year old neighbor boy). They are the cutest kids ever. They came to Noche de Hogar on friday. Yesterday we were teaching them the 10 commandments and somehow we came up with a song and dance to go along with them to memorize and we were all just laughing hysterically. A thought it was especially funny when I couldn´t say the words right when we sang them fast. Good thing I got over being sensitive about my spanish a long time ago. :)

E, our cute little grandma recent convert, paid tithing for the first time yesterday. She is amazing. We´ll be visiting with her and she´ll say things like, "you need to teach me the hymns!" and "I need to pay tithing! How do I do it?" She is so faithful. The other day when we were with her, her granddaughter came over and we began to talk with her. She showed a lot of interest, and we are going to visit and teach her with E this next week!
A cute 16 year old girl named A, investigator of the elders, was baptized this week and hna Tovar and I were asked to give the talks on baptism and the Holy Ghost. She is a really great girl, and it was a lovely baptismal service. I shared one of my most favorite scriptures with her:

 And now, my son, I trust that I shall have great joy in you, because of your asteadiness and your faithfulness unto God; for as you have commenced in your youth to look to the Lord your God, even so I hope that you will continue in keeping his commandments; for blessed is he that bendureth to the end.

The Lord finds great joy in us when we endure and continue looking to Him!

We had an awesome lesson with D this week. She is a young mom, really smart and curious about things. When we talk with her she pays such close attention, and the biggest thing is that unlike a lot of people we´ve taught she actually reads and prays! The only hard part is that she works like crazy. All the time. But we had a really powerful lesson with her. At one point we were testifying about the truthfulness of this church, as the true church of Jesus Christ. My companion turned to me after saying something, and D too. At that moment I had no idea what to say - I had just been listening closely. But I opened my mouth and the words began to come. I really felt like it wasn´t from me - her Father in heaven was speaking directly to her. I honestly can´t even remember what I said, but my companion said later that she felt it was perfect for her. The Lord really does help us in our weaknesses, He makes up for our inadequacies to bless His children. 

This is HIS work! There are so many more miracles and tender mercies that we see every day. The Lord is mindful of each one of His children, and is inviting us to come unto Him. It is the only way to find peace and happiness in this crazy world. 

I love you all!

Hermana Nelson


PERSONAL NOTES

Dad - Ahh I am so jealous of that snow! That looks amazing. I bet you wish for a little of my heat. :) I love that you and jake study PMG. You know what is my favorite part about the story of Enoch though? Before it all, before he becomes powerful and mighty in word, he too struggled with feelings of inadequacy - he didn´t feel like he could speak well enough. 
31 And when Enoch had heard these words, he abowed himself to the earth, before the Lord, and spake before the Lord, saying:bWhy is it that I have found favor in thy sight, and am but a lad, and all the people chate me; for I am dslow of speech; wherefore am I thy servant?
 32 And the Lord said unto Enoch: Go forth and do as I have commanded thee, and no man shall pierce thee. Open thy amouth, and it shall be filled, and I will give thee utterance, for all flesh is in my hands, and I will do as seemeth me good.

I feel the same way sometimes. But the Lord calls on the weak and simple, and He makes us strong! So awesome. Have fun on your trip this week! I haven´t gotten the package yet, hopefully soon.
Mom - You had weather similar to mine this weekend. :) sounds like fun! I´m trying not to think to much about the move though. But I´m glad you had a good weekend. And a happy birthday! I hope you know I thought of you all day and hoped you were being pampered. Love you tons!
Matt - Ahh, lovely San Fran. A few weeks ago I was talking with an elder who served as a visa waiter in san fran and it brought back all those fond memories of that awesome place. You are lucky to live there! love you! hope you have a great week too!
Angelica - I really love your insights. It´s so true what you´ve said about happiness - we are meant to be finding it along the way. And so true that good friends make all the difference! I feel that way about my companionships. It makes such a huge difference when you love each other and enjoy each oither´s company. I have been lucky to have awesome comps. 
Paige & Jared - Those boys! They are just too much! I can´t believe Brenner is so big already. I can´t wait to meet him. 
Jacob - lucky you to play in the snow! Sounds like fun. Are you still finding time to read in the midst of all those computer games? Hope so. REading is the best. Especially the scriptures. :) love ya!

Me with Brisa at her baptism!


Lovely Carmen de Patagones from the other side of the river


No comments:

Post a Comment