Monday, January 6, 2014

¡Feliz Año Nuevo!

¡Hola familia! And happy new year!!

This was a great week. New year was definitely more low key than usual, we didn´t have a dinner appt so we searched high and low to find non-acoholic apple cider (or any kind of fancy drink) because that was my one request. It was delicious. If I thought the fireworks were loud christmas eve, they were nothing compared to new years eve! It was crazy loud and we may have peaked outside for a bit to watch all of them exploding overhead. It was a really neat moment - just to realize that I was in Argentina, the tiny little town of Carmen de Patagones, celebrating the end of a year and the beginning of a new one. As a missionary!! It´ll be something I remember forever.

Our cute old lady investigator, Elena, is still doing really well. We went over to her house the other day to help her make empanadas. She is so cute and willing to learn! We love her. (even though I pretty much don´t understand 80% of what she says)

We found Graciela this week, who is a really interesting older lady who loves to talk (but then again, who doesn´t love to talk here?) and we had a good lesson. The best part though was when she gave us two steaming hot cups of tea. My companion had thought she was talking about an herbal kind when she asked... so there we were, trying to figure out how to not break the word of wisdom. Our opportunity came when she left the room for a minute to help her little granddaughter. My companion goes, "hurry! Give me your cup!" and she dumps the contents of the cups in the sink. When she came back in we were sitting there calmly pretending to sip tea from the cups. I nearly died laughing when my companion "finished off" her cup and set it back down.

Friday was my one month in Argentina mark! I can hardly believe it. Yet I am definitely feeling more comfortable with the way things work and the language. We taught a Noche de Hogar (family home evening) at the church, all investigators/members are invited and the missionaries teach a lesson. I struggled a bit but when all else fails I just bear my testimony!
We got a new elder in our branch this week, and he´s a gringo too! So I don´t feel so alone in my language struggles. 

It´s been so great. We have ups and downs, but the Lord always sends tender mercies. I especially love my personal study time - I always learn so much from the scriptures. This week I was reading my "lema" or motto, a scripture in D&C that I have loved throughout my mission. And I want to share it with you! (sorry if I missed a word, quoted from memory)

"Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power, then may we stand still with the utmost assurance to see the salvation of God and for His arm to be revealed." 

This is the Lord´s work! All He asks is that we do our best, and remember to find cheer and joy in the journey. He loves each one of us!!


Hermana Nelson


PERSONAL NOTES
*Can I ask a favor of you all? I am in sad need of hard copy photos. Of everyone!! Old or new. So if you could send me some I would love it!!!

Dad- love the pictures!!! those decorations are the best thing. I also really loved your resolution about not stressing. I think I´ll do that too. :) Sounds like a wonderful holiday time you guys had, and everyone is so beautiful! Now what trips are coming up for you?
Mom - perfect grades??? Wow! I am so impressed. Not that I´m surprised though. Thank you for your spanish too, also impressive. ;) There are some other blondes, people descended from germany, but not many. And keep me updated on info helping my comp with byu!! She is so grateful.
Matt&Angelica - I love your missionary resolutions angelica!! You are gonna see miracles and wonderful things. THere is nothing like the joy that comes from sharing your testimony. Also, Skye is the most spoiled little girl ever!! haha.
Paige&Jared - Keke especially looks so huge!!! I love it. How is the apt job going? Whats the weather like there right now? One year ago exactly I was living with you guys!!!

Jake - Thanks for the awesome email! I am so glad you had a great christmas. You are the best little brother ever (except not so little anymore!!) and are learning and growing so much. Dont forget to read your scriptures and pray every day!!! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment