Monday, January 20, 2014

Dog Days of Summer

¡Hola Familia!

What a great week it´s been. It´s been a hot one for sure, but the Lord has been blessing us so much. E, our investigator, is doing so well! Even though we still have things to teach her, and she hasn´t been able to read the Book of Mormon (waiting on a new pair of glasses) she already knows this is the true church. In our lesson yesterday she said it´s what she has been looking for, and the way she feels at church and in our lessons is peace and tranquility. So you know how normally I pretty much can´t understand anything she says? Well yesterday during the lesson all of the sudden I noticed that I was understanding her! I got all excited and was so sure I had received the gift of tongues when I realized that I could understand her because she was wearing dentures. Oh well! Looks like I´ll have to wait a little longer for the gift of tongues. And pray she keeps wearing dentures.

We found someone really special this week. We went to visit a less active lady, but she wasn´t home. Her neighbor, a young mother named J, was sitting outside and we started talking with her. She has had a terrible life with many trials, and is 26 with 4 children and no husband. She said she has wanted to go to church but was afraid to go by herself. We set up an appt to come back and teach in 2 days. In the meantime, she came to our fhe activity. We had the most amazing lesson with her. J said that because of the things she endured she wasn´t sure if God exists or loved her. We shared with her that evil and sadness will always exist in the world, but we can always find the good and there is the evidence of God´s love. I shared one of my favorite scriptures with her, that is found in John 16:33, spoken by Jesus Christ - 

33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might haveapeace. In the bworld ye shall have ctribulation: but be of gooddcheer; I have eovercome the world.

We testified to her that through the power of Christ´s atonement, she could find healing and peace. He has established His doctrine and His church on the earth again so that we can have good cheer! She was so humbled and prepared to receive this message. It was a wonderful, powerful lesson. This gospel truly has the power to change lives.

We have had many great lessons this week, and B, our cute 8 year old, is preparing for the 8th. She and E came to church on sunday.

Our doggy friend Bibi is as faithful as ever and goes EVERYWHERE with us. It´s pretty cute even though we get lots of wierd looks. We thought she was our protector but its usually the other way around - we are always scaring off the dogs that try to chase her away. We´ve also been trying to teach her how to be a lady, good habits and to not chase cars.

This work is wonderful! We die of exhaustion every night, but it is the best kind of tired when you know its been in the service of the Lord and His children. I have learned so clearly that there is a lot of wickedness and sadness in the world, but this gospel, the message of Jesus Christ, is the light that will always win. It´s true!!!


I love you all!

Hermana Nelson

Dad - Sounds like you´ve been humbled by the release from the choir president gig. It was probably time though - we wouldn´t want all that power to go to your head. Sounds like fun in the snow over there! I´ve forgotten what it feels like to be cold... enjoy it for me. We need to do a ski trip the winter I get back! I really enjoyed what you said about Abraham. He is pretty incredible... I hope to someday have faith like him.
mom - Don´t worry mom, we make sure to wear sunscreen every day and find the shade to walk under! Also things are really picking up so we´ve been spending more time in houses. But I am enjoying being a little more tan than usual. Sorry about the job! I´m pretty sure you´ll find success soon though, what with those perfect grades and everything. I really am learning to trust in the Lord´s learning process. He knows best of course, but it does take a lot of faith sometimes. I´m starting to get the hang things more and more, and more confidence in speaking up. The other day in a contact I accidentally said "we are a message" instead of "we are missionaries sharing a message". Oh well. We just can´t be afraid of failure!!
Matt&Angelica - I just figured out I can watch videos on these computers! You should send some of skye so I can hear her voice. Hope all is well over there!! Love you guys! I think of you all the time and have told my comp about how awesome my siblings and their spouses are. 
Paige&Jared - thanks for the email jared!!! You were the only one of my siblings this week haha. I love hearing about the funny things your boys do. The other day all of the sudden I remembered how much I loved the times when we would be putting them to bed, and I would get to lie next to them and sing little songs and give them kisses. I have to not think about that too much though - that´s trunky stuff!
Jacob - how was skiing? I am a little jealous. Anyways, getting excited for your talk?? I absolutely love the scriptures, especially the book of Mormon. One of my favorite scriptures is 2 Nephi 4: 15,16, when Nephi talks about how "his soul delights" in the scriptures. We should feel the same way! I think one of the biggest things that we can learn from the scriptures is that all things are possible with God. Even though the good guys are sometimes smaller in number or strength, when they trust in the Lord they will always win! God can make us happy even when things are hard or seem hopeless. I love Mosiah 24:10-17. The Lord will always deliver His people!!  Love you Jake! Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment