Monday, December 16, 2013

Firsts

Hola Familia!!

What a week it´s been. There´s a card that I got from my family that I have up on my wall - the front says "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone". Well I´ve been at the end of my comfort zone maybe a million times this week! But it´s cool to see how its pushing me to become better, stronger, and (eventually) more like my Savior.

So, as the title states, there were lots of firsts this week. Here ya go:
- First huge spider experience. My companion was in the bathroom and all the sudden I heard her scream. She runs out yelling about a spider. I grabbed a flip flop, peeked around the corner of the door, and decided that my bulky running shoes would be a better option. It was massive! But I conquered my fears and smashed it. Then my companion smashed it a couple more times just to make sure it was really dead.
- First time teaching a gospel principles class in spanish. We also have a Noche de Hogar (family home evening) every friday with a few members of the branch and we taught that too. It´s a real challenge to focus on following the spirit rather than the language but both ended up going really well!
- First real lesson on the restoration with a new investigator! An appt fell through so we were just knocking on doors. This young mom opened up, let us in her home and we taught her! It was awesome and she was so receptive. She commited to read the intro to the Book of Mormon and pray about it. We haven´t met with her again yet but are very hopeful.
- First big miracle. Well, miracles happen all the time. But this was a big one. So we met this cute young 17 year old girl on the street and she wanted to meet with us, but every time we went to her house no one answered. We were walking back from the chapel and there she was, walking home just about to get there. She was glad to see us, and we went in and met her mom. They both were so awesome - the mom is catholic but doesn´t practice, and they have had some spiritual experiences lately in connection with their grandma passing away. Pierina, the girl, was especially so receptive. We found out that the reason they never answer is because there house is actually far from the place where the door is, so they pretty much never are able to answer it. The only way we were able to get in with them is because we happened to be right where Pierina was! Awesome.
- First time eating way too much food. And it wasn´t the only time for long. We ate with presidente and hermana Gira again at their cute house, and they fed us milanesa and delicious bread. Presidente kept saying how little we ate and made me eat more. His reasoning is that I´m so tall that there´s lots of room to fit it. I hear that a lot here! Everyone thinks I´m super tall. :) Fortunately the food is super delicious. And the stomach aches have been minimal. My compa likes to make food for us and she is an awesome cook. One day she made us empanadas - which are the best thing ever!!
- First time playing the piano for sacrament meeting. That´s right. I´m gonna get a big fat "I told you so!" from my dad. There were so many times he said I would regret not being able to play better because one day I´ll be serving in a tiny little branch where no one will be able to play the piano and they´ll expect me to. And that´s exactly what happened. :) It was an adventure for sure, I played a super basic version of the hymns but it ended up alright. Now to practice for next sunday...

So lots to learn! Sometimes I get discouraged about the differences and the language but there are wonderful things that pick me back up.

Yesterday I was getting kinda down on myself, missing utah, feeling sad about not being able to understand people, and my companion was so patient and kind and said everything I needed to hear. But what really changed me was when later that night we went to visit Hermano and hermana A, who had just lost a son. They expressed their great sorrow and grief, and he cried. But I was so touched as they demonstrated such great faith and trust in the Lord and his plan. They were clinging to the gospel, and finding strength through the Savior. He shared a poem with us, the one that President Monson quoted in his last talk, about "the stronger the wind, the stronger the trees". It speaks of how the Lord is molding us, and greatness and strength comes only through test and trial. We went to comfort them but I came away comforted.

I have a testimony that the Lord answers prayers. I have a testimony that there is a reason for everything, and that one day all will make sense and we will see the bigger picture that the Lord sees. I have a testimony that Heavenly Father loves us and knows us perfectly! Some days are hard. But when we choose to become better from it and not bitter, we are choosing to become more like the Savior.

I love you all, and miss you! Have a wonderful almost-christmas week.

Hermana Nelson

Dad - I am a little jealous of your snow. It most definitely doesn´t feel like christmas in this heat :) I loved the story of your experience sharing your testimony! That´s awesome. Nothing feels better, especially when the people you share it with are important to you.
mom - Guess what!! I got a tan this week. That was another first. And not a sunburn-first tan, a real tan. That was big news too. :) So glad to hear you´re done with school! Now you better relax.
matt&Angelica - What´s the latest in good ol cali? Hows my favorite neice?
Paige&Jared - Send me some more pictures of your boys!! I miss them. I hope they like the christmas present I got them. And congrats JAred on the marathon! Thats sweet.

Jake - sorry about all the homework! Good thing you´re so smart. Are you still reading a lot?

No comments:

Post a Comment