Hola familia!
Well... here I am in Argentina! And
not only is the keyboard different, but a lot of the keys are rubbed off.
so sorry for any typos haha.
Its been a crazy last couple weeks!
My last week in utah just flew by with a lot of great lessons, visiting our
favorite people, and good american food. I was so happy to have thanksgiving
there. Monday Sister Berry (our awesome friend from Kearns picked us up to go
to the mission office. I had my last interviwe few with president chambers, and
then elder and sister Embly from the mission office drove me and other
elder to the airport. We found out really fast that we were part of a huge group
(maybe 50 missionries) going to brazil and argentina missions. and most
straight from the mtc!!! Crazy. It was a super long trip, but lot of fun.
I had an awesome conversation with the guy sitting next to me on the flight to
bahia. And I was reunited with hermana O´hara, ny comp from the mtc!
The first night all the hermanas (6
of us) slept at the mission home. We ate ice cream with the presidente and his
wife. They are super cute and even though they only speak spanish (ahhh!!!) I
already love them. After some trainings the next morning, we found out where we
were to go and who our comps are!! So here it is: My companion is Hermana
Tovar, she is from El Savador and is super cute, small, happy, and full of
energy. She also speaks english. Our area is called Carmen de Patagones, and we
are the first hermanas in this zone! So, a familiar story of starting in a area
totally new. Although there are elders here, we are sharing the area
with our district leader and his companion.
So we didn´t have a house for the
first few days, so we had to live with the hermanas who work in the area
by the mission office and just do contacting in their area. I totally feel like
a greenie all over again!
Everything is very different, and
then there´s the whole language thing. But every day gets better, and my
companion is so patient with me. And I am praying for the courage to speak up a
little more. :)
Friday we finally were able to travel
to our area! We took the collectivo (bus) for about a 5 hour trip straight
south. We had so much luggage, fortunately we had elders to help us out
starting out and then when we arrived there. I accidentally dumped a bunch of
my companion´s stuff on a lady on the bus because her bag that I was
trying to put in the overhead wasn´t closed. It was the funniest thing -
and so embarrassing.
Our area is great! We are in a tiny
branch of only about 20 -30 people who attend regularly. So they rely on the
missionaries a lot. We were invited yesterday to bear our testimonies, and I
was scared at first but once I got up there and started speaking the
things I know the fear dissappeared. It´s like that all the time! As soon as I
open my mouth, the fear just goes. And I am left feeling happy. That´s the
power of bearing your testimony!
We get to do lots of walking, its
awesome. We have a cute little apt that is basic and minimal but very
comfortable. And the people are so nice!!! We talk to everyone and they are all
so receptive. We pick up investigators like its nothing. Its the qualifying
them to see if they are serious that´s the hard part. :) But we teach on the
spot in the street all the time. Hna Tovar is an awesome teacher and so good
with the people. For me, the understanding them is the hard part. Especially
when they have no teeth. Like half of our branch members. Yesterday we had
dinner with the branch president and his wife, they are the cutest older couple
who live right next to the river in this super humble home. They are the
kindest people.
It´s definitely and adjustment. And
it´ll take time with the language. But I have no doubt I am meant to be
here, and that the Lord will prepare a way! I have already learned so much.
I´ll write more about everything next
week. We only have an hour.
I love you all. This is the Lord´s
work!
Hermana Nelson
Chacabuco 1755
CP 8000 Bahia Blanca
Buenos Aires
Argentina
personal notes¨
dad: so we can only listen to tab
choir and instrumental! Just fyi. Also, travelling here was such an adventure.
Actually, every day is an adventure. I love it.
mom: it was definitely inspiration
that you sent the package in time! I am saving the stocking for real christmas.
Something funny - I am so good at pretending I understand people so they all
think I´m really good at speaking spanish - until they ask me a question. It was
an interesting time at church!
matt: I loved hearing about christmas
in your mission! that sounds awesome. I cant wait to see what it will be like
here. you are the best.
Angelica: yep, the language is a
struggle. It´ll take time for sure but Im glad that I´m not totally new doing
this!
Paige: sounds like Ryker is all
attitude as usual. I miss those guys. How´s little Brenner?
Jared: Have you run the marathon yet?
or still training?
JAKE: I cant believe they let you see catching fire!!! How
was it? miss you bud!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment