Hi familia!
So today marks two months since I
left on my mission! It is so crazy to think of all that has happened since then
and how fast the time has gone. I remember how nervous I was the morning I went
into the MTC, and then all that I've experienced and learned since then. And
saturday marks one month in the field! Loco. So we finally got some coolness
this week. We got some awesome thunderstorms, and rain that made me glad I
wasn't on a bike. The first day the storm hit we were at a dinner appt, and had
to run or else we'd be late to our next lesson, but it was pouring outside. They
didn't have any umbrellas, but they did have a big tarp. So we got underneath
it chinese dragon style and ran to our car (which was kind of far away). We
could hear them laughing at us the whole way there - we probably looked so
ridiculous. 3 Sister missionaries running under a tarp.
So we've got some new investigators
we've been teaching, and it's super fun. We're teaching a family who are less
active, with two boys who are 9 and 11 and unbaptized. They are such a cute
family, and T especially, the 9 year old, is so attentive and has such a desire
to do what's right. We also got to teach E again yesterday, and it went really
well. We watched the Restoration video and talked about it. At first when we
brought up setting a date for baptism in a few weeks he talked about how he
wasn't sure and needed more time. But we talked through it, and testified that
if he took this step of faith he could be ready by that time. So he comitted to
July 27th! Woohoo! We celebrated by eating dinner at Cafe Rio.
Speaking of food, the other day we
went to lunch at Sweet Home Chicago, which is where Matt and Angelica had their
wedding luncheon!! Crazy. It was pretty weird being there, but the pizza was
amazing.
Another one of my favorite people
that we teach are the Familia I. They are super cute hispanic grandparents,
less active so we've been teaching them. She gives us crackers and orange juice
every time. The only hard part is that I can't understand him to save my life.
Last lesson I asked him a question and he didn't understand me, and sis
Monarrez started laughing because neither of us could understand what the other
was saying. But estoy tratando!
So... the fourth of July! We worked
most of the day, and then had a mission conference from 6 to 10 that night.
President and Sister Chambers spoke for a bit, and then we had activities. I
watched Toy Story 3!!! It was so amazing. I forgot how much I love movies and
popcorn. Also, that movie is hilarious. We got home about 10 (late night!) and
then planned out on our balcony to watch the fireworks. Our house is on a hill
so we had an awesome view of almost the whole valley.
So the thought that President
Chambers shared at the mission conference was pretty cool so I thought I'd pass
it on. He was talking about times when we feel inadequate. Sometimes we feel
like our abilities just aren't enough, or that we just can't do it. This is
what we need to do when we feel that way:
1. Be worthy (live the standards with
exactness)
2. Be prepared (study, learn)
3. Be prayerful
4. Go to work.
If you do these things, then you will
have success no matter your abilities.
So the work is great, it's been a
little hard finding people who really are prepared to accept the gospel, but
there's a lot of promise in this area. We are having so much fun, and I love
serving here. And hopefully my teaching is improving!
So here's my commitment for all of
you. (And I'm working on it too). We need members to get involved and share the
good news. If you don't have a Preach My Gospel, then get one! It is an inspired
book. Use it in your studies. Learn the doctrine in chapter 3. Read it all the
way through! It's not just for missionaries. Will you do it??
I love you, and think of you all ALL
the time. This church really is led by Jesus Christ!!
love,
Hermana Nelson
No comments:
Post a Comment