Monday, August 19, 2013

The Adventures of Whitewashing



Hola Familia!!

So the big news this week is... I got transferred! Last Monday night we were at our branch president's house when we got the call. Sister Bingham and I were to be whitewashing (both new missionaries in the area) in KEARNS! Sister Monarrez would stay in Draper. And in our new assignment, we are English speaking. And riding bikes. So lots of changes! It was sad saying goodbye to Sister Monarrez, we had so much fun as a trio.

We stayed up pretty late packing up, it's a huge transition especially for Sister Bingham who had been in Draper for a whole year. A friend with a truck drove us and our suitcases (and bikes - ahh!) over to our new house the next morning. Here in the mission Kearns has the nickname "Dirty Kearns" because it's... definitely not Draper. We were livin large in our last house and getting so spoiled with our car and whatnot it was time we were humbled a little bit. So they are splitting the area, the elders that were in this stake before are taking three wards and we are taking two. So we met with the elders, they split the area book and gave us some contacts on our phone, and then we went out to try and get a handle on the area.

It's definitely been an adventure to say the least. It's also been such a blessing - at times in Draper, especially as a third companion to two very established missionaries, I felt a little like I was just tagging along sometimes. But here Sister Bingham and I are both new, and are starting from scratch. The members are so excited to have sisters in their wards, it's the first time there have been sister missionaries in this area! So there's lots of excitement involved in that and the fact that there are now 6 missionaries in 1 stake (including the Spanish elders) which is a big deal in Utah. It's been so fun getting to know them. The first night we ate with the B family, he is the High Councilman over missionary work for the stake. They're a young couple who both served Spanish speaking missions. Sister B was SO excited to see us, it was the best welcome ever. She's been such a blessing - she drives us places, and the other night she took us around to meet some of the ward members.

In Kearns, tracting actually works! We have found a TON of less active/inactive members, I heard the other day that one of the wards has 600 listed members but only about 150 come. So there's lots to do. But we've already got a ton of appointments set to come teach inactive members. One of them is K. She is the cutest older lady who has struggled a lot with cancer in the last number of years. She hasn't been going to church for that reason and others. She's married to V, a Hispanic man who is not a member. He takes such tender care of her, it's the sweetest thing. So we're excited to start teaching her, and maybe V in the future.

Speaking of tracting though, the other day we were looking for a PI when we saw this young couple with their little boy sitting outside their house. We stopped to talk to them, and found they are nonmembers that had just recently moved in with her grandparents. They asked lots of questions and we shared a little about the church and the Book of Mormon, and asked if we could come back and teach them. They said yes! So last night we went over and we taught M (the girl). It was amazing. She is so prepared, and even though she's had a hard life, she is still so open hearted and has a desire to know God better and have religion in her life. We didn't get to teach her much because it was late, but she was more than willing to have us over tonight. So we're pretty excited about that.

It's amazing how much work and potential is popping up after just a week. The Lord is helping us and these people to come together, so that we can do great things here. And it's fun to see the excitement of the wards and stake, we're trying to keep that help and really get the members involved. There's no such thing as the members and the missionaries that work in their area, the two groups should be inseparable. We need them and they need us!

The work is definitely a little different here. The good thing about bikes is that we are constantly being seen out and about, and we are constantly stopping to talk to people. The bad thing is that it is so HOT!!! And there are many fewer outfits I have that work for bikes. We get home at night just exhausted. And I won't mention the sweatiness. But we sleep well, and honestly it's so rewarding. When I can look past the discomfort it brings me so much joy to realize that I am really starting to lose myself in the work. This is the best thing I have ever done!!! There is not a doubt in my mind that this is the Lord's work.

I've also been so happy to be with Sister Bingham. We actually have a ton in common, and have really similar personalities. She is so hardworking, but is super fun and positive. (woops--I think I just complemented myself indirectly). It's a stressful thing to be whitewashing a new area and starting totally new, you have to have a lot of patience. So it's a good thing to already know and love your companion.

I love you all and miss you! Thanks for sending updates! The church is true.

love,
Hermana Mackenzie Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment